1.7 Unit 6   Marriage 婚姻

Unit 6 Marriage 婚姻

对于职场人士来说,婚姻似乎成了一件越来越难的事。职场人为了面包、为了前途而四处奔波,于是爱情、婚姻就成了一件可望不可即的奢侈品。时下流行的名词“剩男剩女”,正表现了职场人士在情感上的无奈困境。爱情、婚姻、家庭是每个人避风的港湾。来自父母和另一半的情感支持,是职场人奋勇拼搏的动力。俗语说:“婚姻是一门艺术”。所以精神满满的职场人,扬起你们的斗志,先把自己修炼得成熟了,才能承担得起一生的责任。

闪亮句型

1. Was she a family-oriented person?

她是个顾家的人吗?

2. She is the stable, mature and feminine type. I hope one day I can marry her.

她是那种稳重、成熟、有女人味的类型。我希望有一天能和她结婚。

3. For the other 99% of girls, a handsome income is just a plus, not a must.

对绝大部分女孩而言,一份不错的薪水只是一个加分项,并不是必须的。

4. That’s why so many parents are keen on arranging blind dates for their children.

这就是为什么那么多父母忙活着给子女安排相亲。

5. I guess everyone decides at some point it’s time to settle down.

我猜大概每个人都会在某个时间决定自己的归宿。

快问快答

1. Are you free for dinner tonight?

今晚有空一起进餐吗?

—Much as I should like to, I’m afraid I won’t be free then.

我很想去,但是恐怕到时候没时间。

2. Are you seeing anyone?

你现在和谁在交往吗?

—I’ve been going out with Jack for half a year. He’s a nice guy.

我跟杰克交往半年了,他人不错。

3. Thank you for inviting me to see your wedding house!

非常谢谢你请我来看你的婚房!

—Come by all means! But the bridal chamber decoration is just half-finished. It’s a terrible mess now, please don’t mind.

快进来!但婚房装修还只完成了一半。现在还是一团糟,请不要介意。

情境重现

1. Date with My Favorite Girl

和心仪女孩的约会

Dialogue:

A: I saw you went on a date with a pretty girl yesterday.

A: 我昨天看到你和一个漂亮女孩在约会。

(旁注)① date with sb.与某人约会

B: Oh, yes. She is my favorite girl. What do you think of her?

B: 哦,是的。她是我最喜欢的女孩。你觉得她怎么样?

A: She is so cute!

A: 她很可爱!

B: Yeah. I’ve fallen in love with her.

B: 是啊。我已经爱上她了。

(旁注)② very much in love/madly in love/head over heels in love疯狂地爱着love triangle三角恋爱

A: Are you sure she is the right girl?

A: 你能确定她是你想要的女孩吗?

B: Sure. We’ve talked a lot and I am getting to know her better.

B: 我肯定。我们有过很多次沟通,我越来越了解她了。

A: Good for you.

A: 真好。

B: She is the ideal girl, the one I have dreamed of.

B: 她非常完美,是我梦寐以求的女孩。

(旁注)③ dream of(doing) sth.梦想做某事

A: What type of girl is she?

A: 她是哪种类型的女孩?

B: She is the stable, mature and feminine type. I hope I can marry her.

B: 那种稳重、成熟、有女人味的类型。我希望能和她结婚。

(旁注)④ feminine有女性气质的反义:masculine有男子气概的

A: You’re serious this time.

A: 这次你可是认真了。

img73 高频词汇速记

1. date with约会

[例]I’ve got a date with Andrea tomorrow night.

明晚我和安德里亚有约会。blind date 相亲

2. love恋爱,爱情

[例]love at first sight 一见钟情not for love or/nor money

[非正式]无论怎样也不,决不for the love of God[口]看在上帝的份上(用于表示怒不可遏、沮丧等)

2. Dating Game Show

相亲真人秀

Dialogue:

A: Linda, have you watched If You Are the One last week?

A: 琳达,你看了上周的非诚勿扰节目没?

B: Yes, what’s up?

B: 看了,怎么啦?

A: I hate No. 7, she is too snobbish. It seems that for her true love is all about money. Apart from a good sense of humor and reasonable good looks, what she really cares is whether he owns an apartment and how many square feet it is. A sizable bank account is also a must, so is a luxury car.

A: 我讨厌7号,她太势利了。对她来说,爱好像就是用金钱来衡量的。除了幽默感和不错的外貌,她真正在意的是对方有没有房子,房子有多大。她还要求对方在银行有可观的存款,还要有豪车。

(旁注)① snobbish势利眼的

(旁注)② sizable相当大的

B: Easy, Miss “half glass is empty”. For the other 99% of girls, a handsome income is just a plus, not a must. Moreover, a lot of young people of 80s are even willing to get married without any ceremony, dinner party, or honeymoon traveling. I believe most of girls don’t care that whether a guy is rich or not, what’s more important is that if he is a person of integrity, if he is reliable…

B: 放松啦,别那么悲观主义。对绝大部分女孩而言,一份不错的薪水只是一个加分项,并不是必须的。而且,现在很多八零后年轻人甚至愿意“裸婚”(没有结婚典礼,餐宴,或蜜月旅行)。我相信大多数女孩不介意男人富不富有,相比而言,更重要的是他是否是个正直、可靠的人……

(旁注)③ half glass is empty[谚]从心理学看,杯子被认为半空而非半满即悲观

(旁注)④ plus[非正式]有利因素/条件must必不可少的事物

(旁注)⑤ integrity耿直,正直诚实

(旁注)⑥ reliable可信的,可靠的

A: Well, that’s true. Hey, don’t you think that the dating shows are too popular these days?

A: 嗯,那倒是。哎,你没觉得约会真人秀现在太流行了吗?

B: Well, it’s quite obvious. I think it’s understandable. Young people are so focused on making money and building their careers these days. They have little time to devote to dating. Many people feel great pressure from their parents and peers.

B: 这不是明摆着嘛。想想这种流行趋势倒也合情合理。现在的年轻人都忙于挣钱、经营事业。他们根本没有时间约会,许多人从父母和同龄人那感受到了巨大的压力。

(旁注)⑦ understandable可以理解的,合情理的

(旁注)⑧ peer[一般用复数]同龄人,社会地位相同的人

A: Yep, I agree with that. It can be a struggle to find a partner. That’s why so many parents are keen on arranging blind dates for their children.

A: 嗯,我也这么认为。找个伴不是什么容易的事。这就是为什么那么多父母忙活着给子女安排相亲。

(旁注)⑨ be keen on热衷于,有兴趣

B: But it’s weird for two strangers who have no knowledge of each other to sit down, go on a date with the purpose of getting married…

B: 但两个互不相识的陌生人,一点儿都不了解对方,却要坐下来约会,奔着结婚去,这太奇怪了……

img74 高频词汇速记

1. sizable相当大的

[例]Part-time students make up a sizable proportion of the college population.

非全日制学生在大学生总人数中占了很大的比例。

2. understandable(行为、反应等)可以理解的,合情理的

[例]They were understandably upset.

他们当然感到不安了。

3. Engagement Party

订婚宴会

Dialogue:

A: Hey, Mary! What are you doing here?

A: 啊,玛丽!你怎么在这儿?

B: Henry! I don’t believe it! Are you a friend of the groom?

B: 亨利!真是令人难以相信!你是新郎的朋友吗?

(旁注)① groom新郎bride新娘

A: Yeah. Jack and I work together.

A: 是啊。杰克和我在同一地方工作。

B: What a coincidence—I work with Jane.

B: 真巧——我和简是同事。

(旁注)② by coincidence巧得很sheer/pure coincidence纯属巧合

A: Jane is the bride, right?

A: 简是新娘吗?

B: You mean you didn’t know her name?

B: 你的意思是你不知道她的名字啊?

A: Well, Jack’s always been a little secretive about all his girlfriends.

A: 嗯,杰克对于所有的女朋友的事总是神秘兮兮的。

(旁注)③ secretive守口如瓶的,遮遮掩掩的

B: All? How many have there been?

B: 所有?到底有过多少个?

A: Too many. When he announced his engagement, everyone said,“He’s getting married? Woo—what a shock!”

A: 太多了。当他订婚时大家都说:“他要结婚啦!真令人惊讶!”

(旁注)④ engagement婚约,订婚期间

B: Hm… Well, Jane’s friends were surprised, too—she’s really involved in her career.

B: 嗯……简的朋友也都吓了一跳——她向来是热衷于事业的。

(旁注)⑤ involve yourself in积极参与

A: I guess everyone decides at some point it’s time to settle down.

A: 我猜大概每个人都会在某个时间决定自己的归宿。

(旁注)⑥ settle down(使)平静,(使)安定

B: I just wish they didn’t all decide at the same time. Too many of my friends are getting married lately.

B: 我只希望他们别在同一时间做决定。最近结婚的朋友太多了。

A: Same here! All these weddings are really costing me!

A: 我也是一样!这些婚礼差点儿让我破产!

B: And this time I had to go out and got a new dress. I can’t wear the same thing every time I go to a wedding.

B: 这次我不得不去买套新衣服。我总不能每次婚礼都穿一样的。

A: Well, you made a wise purchase—you look great in that dress.

A: 是呀,你很有眼光——你穿着那套新装看起来很好。

B: Gee…Thanks, Henry. Oh, look—what a beautiful bride she is!

B: 哎!亨利,谢谢你。哦,你看——多漂亮的新娘!

img75 高频词汇速记

1. coincidence巧合,巧事,同时发生

[例]After the fourth attack on her car, she was convinced that the vandalism was more than just coincidence.

她的汽车第四次遭袭后,她确信这些破坏绝不是偶然。

2. involve sb. in (doing) sth.(邀请或允许某人)参与

[例]We want to involve the workforce in all stages of the decision-making process.

我们希望在决策过程中的各个阶段都有职工参与。

4. Planning a Wedding Party

筹备婚礼

Dialogue:

A: Hey, Diane, want me to help you with your wedding planning?

A: 嗨,戴安,需要我帮你做婚礼的准备工作吗?

B: Oh, God! You have no idea how complicated it is! It has almost driven me crazy! I have to go through all the catalogues and pick my wedding dress, write wedding vows, order the wedding cake, pick the decoration, arrange the wedding venue, the accommodation and the food for the guests, the honeymoon place to go…

B: 天哪!你不知道这事有多复杂!我简直要疯了!我得看完所有的目录,然后挑选自己的结婚礼服,写誓词,订蛋糕,选会场布置,安排婚礼会场,安排亲友的住宿和饮食,定蜜月旅行的地方……

(旁注)① go through sth.在某物中找,检查某物go through with将……进行到底

(旁注)② keep/break a vow信守/违反誓言

(旁注)③ venue地点

(旁注)④ accommodation住处

A: Wait, wait, wait, you remember Joyce? She got married last month. She even had time to go shopping with me!

A: 等等,你记得乔伊丝吗?她上个月结婚了。那时她甚至还有时间跟我逛街呢!

B: How could she make it?

B: 这怎么可能?

A: Oh, wait, she once told me that she hired a wedding planner!

A: 哦,等等,她有一次跟我说她雇了一个婚礼策划师!

B: That explains!

B: 原来如此!

A: Why don’t you hire one? They will sort out everything for you. You just need to give them your requirements and your budget. Wedding planners can be hired on the number of days you want them to. You can either hire the services of a full-time wedding planner, a part-time wedding planner or a day wedding planner.

A: 为什么你不雇一个?他们会给你挑好所有的东西。你只要告诉他们你的要求、预算就行了。你想雇多少天都可以,全职的婚礼策划人、兼职的婚礼策划师,甚至一天的婚礼策划服务都行。

(旁注)⑤ sort yourself out/ get yourself sorted out处理自己所有的问题

B: But I’m not sure whether they can…

B: 但我拿不准他们是不是可以……

A: Oh, dear. It’s your big day! Don’t make yourself too exhausted. Let them do those trivial things. Believe me, you just need to make sure that you have a remarkable make-up, a trendy hair style, glowing skin… You just need to shine at the party!

A: 亲爱的,这是你的大日子!不要让自己过于疲惫。琐碎的事情就交给他们来打理吧。相信我,你只需要保证自己有一个特别的妆容,时髦的发型,红润光泽的皮肤……你只要闪耀全场就行了!

(旁注)⑥ trivial微不足道的,没有什么价值的

(旁注)⑦ trendy时髦的

(旁注)⑧ glow(身体健康、运动后或兴奋时脸部或身体发出的)红润光泽,红晕

img76 高频词汇速记

1. go through with将……进行到底

[例] He bravely went through with the wedding ceremony even though he was in a lot of pain.

他虽然疼痛万分,但还是在婚礼中勇敢地坚持了下来。

2. venue举办地点,举行场所,会场

[例]The venue for the latest round of talks

最新一轮谈判的地点

5. Divorce

离 婚

Dialogue:

A: Simon, would you mind if I ask you a personal question?

A: 西蒙,我问你个私人问题,你介意吗?

B: I don’t mind at all. We’re close friends now.

B: 不介意。我们现在是好朋友了。

(旁注)① close亲近的,亲密的

A: All right. Are you married?

A: 好。你结婚了吗?

B: I’m single now.

B: 我现在单身。

(旁注)② single bed/ room单人床/单人间等

A: Do you plan to get married in the future?

A: 那你打算以后结婚么?

B: I don’t know. As a matter of fact, I am afraid of divorce. That will be very distressful. It’s too much trouble to go through. I like simple life. To be frank, I was married once.

B: 我不知道。事实上,我害怕离婚。那样会很痛苦。要经历太多的麻烦事。我喜欢简单的生活。坦白说,我曾结过婚。

(旁注)③ file/sue/petition for divorce提出离婚申请

(旁注)④ in distress忧虑,苦恼

(旁注)⑤ go through经历

A: Do you mean you got a divorce?

A: 你是说你离过婚?

B: Yes. My first marriage was a failure.

B: 是的,我的第一次婚姻失败了。

A: Can you tell me about it?

A: 能给我讲讲吗?

B: Yes. We were happy together once.

B: 好的。我们在一起曾经很幸福。

A: Was she a family-oriented person?

A: 她是个顾家的人吗?

(旁注)⑥ orient yourself确定方位,辨认方向

B: Yes. But she changed. She was not the same as before.

B: 是的,但是后来她变了,和以前不一样了。

A: Did you two fight?

A: 你们俩经常吵架?

(旁注)⑦ fight about/over sth.争吵,争论

B: Yes, we fought a lot. She didn’t love me any more. So we got divorced.

B: 我们经常吵架。她也不爱我了。所以我们就离婚了。

img77 高频词汇速记

1. close(引申)在货币市场上表收盘

[例] The bond market closed out the week on a strong note.

债券市场本周以强势收盘。

2. divorce 离婚

[例]divorce settlement 离婚协议The Act extended the grounds for divorce.

这条法律放宽了离婚条件。

img78 替换扩展

img79

img80

img81 百宝箱

如果说婚礼是一对新人接受众人祝福的仪式,那么蜜月就是这对新人携手开始婚姻旅程的起点。在中国传统文化中并没有“蜜月”一说,随着中国和国际接轨的步伐越来越快,中外文化交流越来越频繁,不少年轻人也效仿外国新婚夫妇,给自己的婚姻生活策划一个甜蜜的“蜜月旅行”。那么,接下来让我们来看看西方人的蜜月之选:

1. In Europe the honeymoon is of significance to wedding couples, and many newly weds travel for their honeymoon. Modern British honeymooners usually choose to head to beach destinations for their honeymoons, with the Maldives and the Caribbean the most popular honeymoon choices. American honeymoon couples love their tropical beach honeymoons. Approximately 60% of American couples have international honeymoons, spending on average 11% of their wedding budgets.

在欧洲,蜜月对于一对新人来说是很重要的,很多新人会选择通过旅行的方式来度蜜月。英国人比较喜欢把蜜月目的地选在海滨,马尔代夫和加勒比海地区是最受现代英国人喜爱的蜜月目的地。美国新人比较喜欢热带海滩蜜月之旅。大约60%美国夫妻选择去国外度蜜月。他们蜜月旅行的花费大概占他们婚礼开支的11%。

2. 蜜月之后,新婚夫妇就进入到婚姻生活当中。和另一半“执子之手,与子偕老”。当然,为了保持婚姻的活力,留住幸福的点滴,到了结婚纪念日,可得好好庆祝一下哦!以下这些结婚纪念日的说法,看看你会吗?

paper wedding纸婚(1年) cotton wedding布婚(2年) linen wedding麻婚(4年)wood wedding木婚(5年) crystal wedding水晶婚(15年) silver wedding银婚(25年)pearl wedding珍珠婚(30年) golden wedding金婚(50年)

img82 思维导图

img83